Chocolate Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Muffins
You heard me…Chocolate muffins meets banana bread meets melty chocolate chips. What does this delicious recipe NOT have? No eggs, no dairy, no butter, no refined sugar (not even an obscure natural sugar), and even, no oil. I mean amazing right? You probably don’t even have to go to the store for ingredients. You can EVEN use whole wheat flour! By all means have seconds, thirds,
eat half the pan in one sitting like I did.
2 Cups Flour*
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Chia Seeds (don’t panic, this is totally optional!)
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
1/3 Cup Real Maple Syrup**
1 Cup Mashed Bananas (about 2 large or 3 small, no stress if you’re slightly over or under)
3/4 Cup Hot (near boiling) Water
1 Cup Walnuts, chopped
3/4 Cup Chocolate Chips (non-dairy if you want this to be Vegan)
*We grind our own flour. What this means for you is that you can probably get away with ANY type of flour including whole wheat! For those who also use homemade flour, I chose a Soft Red Wheat for its lower gluten content which works well with baked goods.
**When I’m not buying from our local food-coop, I love Ben’s Sugar Shack in New Hampshire.
Makes 6 large and 8 small (standard) muffins
- Preheat oven to 350. Do this first so it has time to be AT temperature for about 10-15 minutes. That will give you the best success at a consistent cooking time.
- Grease muffin pans or use cupcake liners if you want to hold me to that not butter or oil statement 😉
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a different bowl, mix hot water and cocoa powder until dissolved. Add in maple syrup, mashed bananas, and chia seeds(optional).
- Combine dry and wet mix.
- Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips. Batter will be thick.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake about 17 minutes for standard (12 to a pan) muffins, or about 25 minutes for larger (6 to a pan) muffins.
*Eat these warm while the chocolate chips are enticingly melty like you see in fancy chocolate chip cookie commercials, yyuuummm….but they’re also great cold, if they last that long!