Need Space Activity: Homemade Playdough
I suppose this wouldn’t be a true mommy-blog without a post on how to make homemade playdough. This is the recipe my mother used when I was a kid, and now I can make it for my own children. Why is this better than store bought playdough? My daughter plays with the homemade dough 3X longer than the store bought. It makes a ton, and she gets to pick the color. Don’t let the fact that you need a stove to make it deter you, I promise it will be done in no time and is worth it! While I was at the stove stirring, my daughter ran around collecting toys she wanted to use and once completed this playdough immediately got me 20 minutes of space. Then it was actively played with off and on for the next 3 days before losing interest steam. For a 2 1/2 year old, that’s pretty epic and so far is the greatest space creator of all these activities!
Homemade Playdough Recipe
Time To Make: About 10 minutes
Space Achieved: About 20+ minutes and several days
2 Cups Flour*
1 Cup Salt
2 TBSP Cream of Tarter
2 Cups Water
2 TBSP Oil
Food coloring (I used 25 drops of blue to get the color shown in pictures)
*(I ran out of white flour so mine had 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour. It came out just fine with some brown speckles)
1) In one bowl mix together flour, salt, and cream of tarter.
2) In a separate bowl mix together water, oil, and food coloring.
3) Mix both bowls together in a medium-large pot on the stove.
4) Set to medium heat and continue to stir for several minutes. Mix will go from watery, to lumpy, to clumping, and then become one big ball of “dough”. At this point, remove from heat.
5)Dump dough out on a cutting board or heat tolerant surface and knead. It may be hot to the touch but will cool quickly. To knead just fold in half, press down, fold in half, press down, repeat a few more times.
6) Spread out to allow for faster cooling if it’s still too hot for your child to touch. Once at the right temperature it’s ready for playing!
Store in air tight container or in a bowl covered with plastic wrap.
Hi there! I’m Kaley, prevailing parent and wife, but also just me; stubborn lover of DIY everything, outdoors, and chocolate. Read more about myself and my family under the “Parenting” > “About My Family” tabs.